The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Visualizing popularity

I'm not sure what to call it, but Flickr has an interresting way to display their most popular tags:

http://flickr.com/photos/tags/

Do you know of any other methods that gives a similar effect?

- Peter
Peter K
Thursday, March 03, 2005

"...I'm not sure what to call it,..."

I call it "annoying". It has become popular in the marketing world to mix font types and sizes on a page. I'm not sure why. It doesn't seem to work in my opinion. I take a look at the link you provided and I don't see anything but a bunch of junk. That looks completely unusable to me.
matt
Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Google ads are really well targeted on that page, no?

Hmm. Okay. "No" is the correct answer.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

I kinda agree, but can see its potential and wonder if there's other methods that doesn't seem so "messy".

This thread at SvN has some more info:

http://www.37signals.com/svn/archives/000937.php

- Peter
Peter K
Thursday, March 03, 2005

Didn't notice the Google Ads. Amusing ;)
Peter K
Thursday, March 03, 2005

These things seem like self-fullfilling prophecies. The bigger it gets the more it dwarfs other options which makes them virtually invisible to the user (especially in paragraph form). I would think that you could also color things and leave them the same size and get the same basic effect.Start with black, move toward reddish-brown, and end with fire-red for the hot stuff.

Just my opinion. I really hope that doesn't take off because I find it really hard to use.
matt
Thursday, March 03, 2005

I think of it more as an add-on to conventional UI elements.

Seems effective when you're looking for e.g what's-important-right-now stuff.
Peter K
Thursday, March 03, 2005

It seems like it would make more sense if they just floated the more popular tags to the top.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

"It has become popular in the marketing world to mix font types and sizes on a page. I take a look and don't see anything but a bunch of junk."

It wouldn't make sense if it was a paragraph to be read from left to right, but that's not what we're doing here. The whole point is to see which words catch the eye.

"It seems like it would make more sense if they just floated the more popular tags to the top."

As the link above pointed out, the words are organized alphabetically so it's easy to search.
Kartik Agaram
Wednesday, March 16, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics