The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Learning roadmap and methodology to Enterprise Architect ?

If I want to be Enterprise Architect, should I focus on improving my Data Model skill and its related literature like Business Rule first or learn Process Modeling or hone my coding skill ( by reading Code Complete and/or Refactorig To Patterns) or read Software Architecture literature like Requirement Analysis : From Business Views to Architecture, Software Factories., etc
Ohhh... so many books to read ...

Yes, in theory, I know I need to reiterate some learning step to reinforce certain knowledge.

So, what is the best learning roadmap and methodology to become Enterpise Architect (in Business Application like ERP).

With so many good literatures about Software Management, I believe there must be a proven path to acquire Enterprise Architect knowledge without sinking in the ocean of information.

Please enlight me. Thanks
Aspiring Enterprise Architect Send private email
Thursday, March 03, 2005

Join an enterprise, and climb the junior dev/IT ladder. If you have good abstraction, good process grasp, understand the big picture excel at people skills and get things done, within 20 years you'll be an enterprise architect.

Of course nothing prevents you from just reading "EA for dummies" and spend 6 monts blog surfing to get into the upper echelons of buzzword spouting and fake it from there.
Just me (Sir to you) Send private email
Thursday, March 03, 2005

Woww...20 years...
Sad true....

Actually Enterprise Architect by itself is only a vision.
The bottom line is I/we can create/develop/lead development of an stable ERP system that is sellable and make a lot of bucks from there :).

I got more than 5 years in database programming, but mainly in Client/Server 2 tier.

Plan to develop web based ERP system but before learning web application skillset, which I haven't decide which platform or language, I want to improve other area first.
Aspiring Enterprise Architect Send private email
Thursday, March 03, 2005

ERP was the buzzword for the 90's. CRM is waning now too. Try getting into VOIP or security instead.
Duff Send private email
Saturday, March 05, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics