The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Tool for Imaging Multiple Computers at Once

My company develops products that typically require multiple computers for test case execution.  These computers are almost always a mix of UNIX, Linux and Windows machines. 

Some of these are not x86 architecture either, e.g. Solaris.

For example, we have an "enterprise" component that runs on Linux or UNIX, and connects to "slave" computers (Windows) that it orders to perform various operations.  The slave computers have special hardware so this mess can't be simulated in VMware. A typical configuration involves about 2-5 computers working together, and they all needed to know each other's IP addresses and so on.

Right now we partition drives into a boot partition of around 10 GB (which is always enough) and the balance for Norton Ghost image storage.  But this only works for local images is fine for now, but we will need something that scales across multiple computers and platforms.

Is there any reasonably priced software that can manage this?  About 25 computers in all.  (The Symantec solutions don't seem suitable -- don't deal with mixed platforms.)
QAck
Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Take a look at g4u.  You upload an image to an ftp server and then, at once, multiple clients can download the image and restore it to their own disk.

"g4u ("ghost for unix") is a NetBSD-based bootfloppy/CD-ROM that allows easy cloning of PC harddisks to deploy a common setup on a number of PCs using FTP. The floppy/CD offers two functions. The first is to upload the compressed image of a local harddisk to a FTP server, the other is to restore that image via FTP, uncompress it and write it back to disk. Network configuration is fetched via DHCP. As the harddisk is processed as a image, any filesystem and operating system can be deployed using g4u. Easy cloning of local disks as well as partitions is also supported."

http://www.feyrer.de/g4u

It can also be found on the Ultimate Boot CD
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Hey, thanks for the link to the ultimate boot CD!  That thing looks pretty cool!  I haven't tried it yet, but it *should* be super-useful for me right about now, since I recently (unknowingly!) blew away the boot partition on one of my Win2K hard drives...  Plus those mem-checkers and PCI configuration tools sound cool too!

Pete
Peter Sherman Send private email
Thursday, March 03, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics