The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Scroll Display

I am taking a poll as to which scroll bar display is preferable.

1.  Standard - Arrow top and bottom, slider full control height.

2.  Scroll-up button at top, scroll-down button at bottom.  No Slider

Tia
_
Sunday, February 27, 2005

I serious can't remember the last time I actually clicked on the UP/DOWN buttons on the scroll bar, even when I had a wheelless mouse, I tend to drag to go up and down a page;
bahen

Gotta have a slider.

However, if it's one of those sliders that resizes based on the region of text you're viewing (e.g. if you're viewing one-third of the total, the box is one-third the height of the scroll bar), you need to make sure it doesn't shrink down to become too small to grab.  I see a lot of these that turn into tiny flat little boxes that are very hard to grab with the pointer.
Kyralessa Send private email

I think you answered your own question:

"1. Standard - ..."

That's what users will expect. Anything else will get comments like "What were they thinking?"

Number 1.

ClearCase's weirdness is not standard. In fact I assume it is a bug (along with the others).

Monday, February 28, 2005

It ain't standard, but the BEST scroll-bar management I ever saw was on the Next O/S.

That used scrollbars, but the up/down and left/right arrows were all in a very small area at the bottom right.  Bumping the up, down, left, or right arrows only required a miniscule mouse movement, whereas the movement required with the more standard arrow positions requires a relatively very large movement.
Karl Perry Send private email
Monday, February 28, 2005

Karl - that's the way KDE does it now. It's the only environment in which I find myself using the buttons. Wheeling's much nicer though.
Thom Lawrence Send private email
Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The best way to do it is EXACTLY the same as however the users platform does it. Any other way will just generally piss people off.

If you don't have this luxury (maybe you are making some whacked-out flash program??? cant think of any other examples....) then i think number 1 way is pretty well accepted. Cant think of why you wouldnt want a scrollbar....
Dan S
Tuesday, March 01, 2005

+1 for NextStep. No problem when breaking away from the standard, because anyone will immediately grasp this improvement.
Karel Thönissen Send private email
Wednesday, March 02, 2005

MacOS also has (had?) the option of having both scroll up/down arrows placed at bottom right. Really handy!

Didn't check that option yet on v.X+ though (i'm mainly on windows these times) ...
Z.E.T.
Thursday, March 03, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics