The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Need to register com add-in for all users

Hi,

I have been searching and searching all over the net, but nowhere do I find a source that can tell me how I can register a com add-in, in this case to extend Outlook, for all users at once.

The problem is that the users can't install the add-in themselves, because they do not have permission. They are domain users without administrator or power user clearance.

I know it can be done, because this other dll that I install as an administrator does propagate to other users.
Practical Geezer
Friday, February 25, 2005

We encountered a *related* problem a year or so ago.

We wanted all users to be able to share data.  But non-admin users on WinXP/2k can't do that. If User A creates a file, User B can't change it.

We used the CACLS.exe command to change the access for that directory.  I don't think this will work for your COM registration.

BUT... I realized later that this was an excellent opportunity to allow this ONLY for our PROFESSIONAL version.  And since the PRO version will ostensibly be installed by IS anyway, then it made our installation easier AND provided an incentive for business customers to buy the Pro version.
Mr. Analogy {ISV owner} Send private email
Saturday, February 26, 2005

A COM add-in needs to be registered, and needs to be activated. The registration part needs to be done once, at installation time, and requires Administrator privileges. Activating a COM add-in does not require administrative privileges.
COM Add-ins are listed under the registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins
or the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

List yours under the key in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive if you want the Add-in to be available to all users. That's all it takes.
Raj Chaudhuri Send private email
Monday, February 28, 2005

All users may not have rights to write to the registry.  Most large companies handle this issue using a distribution product like sms.  Essentially, it runs the install on each machine under an authenticated identity that has the necessary rights.
bw
Friday, March 04, 2005

One side-effect of switching to HKLM is that the Add-in no longer appears in the Outlook 2003 "COM Add-Ins" list (Tools/Options/Other/Advanced Options/COM Add-Ins...).  If anyone knows of an easy fix for this, I'd appreciate it.
Jay Saathoff
Friday, March 18, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics