The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Gmail vs Hotmail...

Google has gotten a lot of hype for their Gmail product due to the cool uses of Javascript and HTML, email UI innovations, and perhaps most importantly the whoppinig 1 GB email limit which forced EVERYONE's hand. 

BUT, I find myself liking Hotmail more & more lately.  Yes lately the availability of the site during peak times has been utter crap (ugh, trying logging in over MSN Messenger @ 9:00 am Pac Time), but they offer one thing google doesn't -- free calenders integrated right into the free email which you can access from the internet.  I'm not sure if I can live without this now.  Also, as time has passed, the more I think about Gmail, though I think their site feels somehow "cleaner", when you cut through everything, I think the most compelling service they offer is the 1GB storage limit.

So I guess for me it comes down to free net accessible calenders & 250 MB storage limit vs 1GB storage limit.  The former wins for me.
Crimson Send private email
Friday, February 25, 2005

Plaxo has internet calendaring for free.

IF you want integrated with Google, just tell them.  If enough people tell them, I suspect they'll do it, and do it better than Hotmail does.  Probably in some cool way MS never dreamed of.

Sorry, Philo.
Aaron F Stanton Send private email

I agree. I have absolutely no use for 1 GB and calendars are a huge plus. The Gmail hype will die down.
Mr. Clever

The invitation system was for two reasons:
1) to allow them to build up the support hardware, and
2) to build hype.

Now that everyone has 50 invites, they're not considered currency anymore, so new features will be driving it.

Personally, I can't make it without the labelling features.  I have some things labeled upwards of 4 ways - support requests are categorized by the app, the customer, the criticality, and which email address it was sent to.  (I have 4 different emails auto-forwarding to a single gmail account.)

Being able to slice the info all those sorts of ways make it pretty impressive.
KC Send private email

Yeah and there's just nothing like that professional distinctive air you get from having an email like mike10762345@hotmail.com ... oh yeah.
Code Penetrator Send private email

I was having problems connecting to Hotmail, sunddenly thought "Wonder if they are trying to discourage Firefox use" as that is my browser of choice.  Tried in IE and poof, no issues!?

But maybe I'm just paranoid...
Honu

I like gmail better, but I use both accounts. Hotmail is still my primary, so I am not too sure how gmail handles spam when under stress. Hotmail commissioned a few best of industry anti-spam companies to enhance hotmail, but my reporting of spam is having no affect on the flow of spam (again, this is my personal experience).

The kind of careful reporting I am doing should have tip the scale at this point for any run of the mill bayes network, so I don't know wtf those hotmail people are doing.
Li-fan Chen Send private email

Code Penetrator,

Actually, I turn on the webmail alias for the email if I want to respond from there, but most of the time there's no need.
KC Send private email

Code Penetrator,

Professional airs, or lack of them, are not an issue with Hotmail.  You have to agree to use hotmail for personal and non-commercial use only, so you certainly can't use them for business.  You can read the terms of use at https://registernet.passport.net/images/HMSA_1033.html

Now, you're probably okay if you use a hotmail account on your resume.  Just don't use it for work.
Chris in Edmonton Send private email

One big difference between Gmail and Hotmail, and I guess also a difference between Google and MS in general, is that Gmail does not lock you in to their service:
1) Gmail offers email forwarding. This allows you to ditch their service at any time and just forward your emails to the new account.
2) Exporting my contacts out of the Hotmail account and into Gmail was practically impossible.

BTW, what is happening with Hotmail anyway?? Last couple of times I went there, as I was logging in, the advertisement banner would display "Sorry, but the service you are trying to access is unavailable". Not very professional.
Simon@AutoUpdate+
Saturday, February 26, 2005

I quit using hotmail years ago when it seemed like they were actually encouraging spam. It sure felt like they were literally selling email addresses.  Never looked back
hoser Send private email
Sunday, February 27, 2005

Gmail is so cool hotmail that hotmail has become coldmail standing next to it. i am not sure about you guys but I live gmai lfor it is awesome in everyway. I search my mails by typinjg in just a keyword and gmail retrives it for me our from 1000's of mails in no sec. this one feature, though they have so many great many features, is enough to make me a lover of gmail. Gmail is the best mail service i have ever used till date, and there is no doubt it is gonna lead the way.

"First they Ignore you,
then they laugh at you,
then they fight you,
then you win"

this is the famous qoute by mahatma Gandi and will aptly apply for gmail in from of the 800pound gorilla hotmail.
Karthikeyan Sennimalai Send private email
Saturday, March 05, 2005

I agree Gmail is better in most ways than Hotmail.

I still use Hotmail as my primary only because I'd have to
spend an annoying amount of time changing all my website accuonts I've created over the last 4 years to point to gmail.

Also when at home I connect to hotmail through outlook express. Since spam blocking does'nt work anyway I don't miss being able to junk email when I'm at home.

Does anyone know if Google has windows based client in the works?
Oxblood Send private email
Thursday, March 17, 2005

Oxblood,

From Google's Gmail site....

"Free POP access and automatic forwarding
Access your mail the way you want to. Download your messages. Read them offline. Use your Blackberry or Outlook or just the good ol' web. Or forward new messages to an email account you specify. You can even switch to other email services without having to worry about losing access to your messages. Think of it as email portability."

I still only use the web interface but I'd imagine the POP access works just fine with nearly any email client.
JMR Send private email
Monday, March 21, 2005

One deficiency of gmail versus hotmail is that the web interface does not support the composition or forwarding of html-based mail. I use html mail occasionally to paste an image into the mail body, and to make it convenient to construct bulleted or numbered lists.

Gmail will receive html-formatted mail, but if you try to forward it, all formatting is lost. Try forwarding their welcome message. Notice how the bulleted list is reformatted.
Gregg
Thursday, March 24, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics