The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Old John Carmack plan on Mythical Man Month and development...

Ran across this while reading a blog: http://finger.planetquake.com/qfplan.asp?userid=johnc&id=1680

I wish I was able to get across some of the points he makes so well to the nonprogrammers I work around. Actually I do GET across the points, but I think to non-programmers they seem like excuses to be lazy or even worse, are a sign of incompetence.  Or they just think I'm cruel and uncaring as John says. ;)

Pretty good insights for a 25 year old (this was back in 97).
Crimson Send private email
Tuesday, February 15, 2005

If John Carmack is so smart, why is that web page nearly unreadable?  A thin font in white against a black background.  Geez, my eyes hurt.
Bob Saccamano Send private email
Thursday, February 17, 2005

Bob,

You misunderstand how .plan files work.
Chris in Edmonton Send private email

Chris, pray illuminate us.  Merely telling us we misunderstand how .plan files work does not actually help us understand how they DO work.

I know I haven't a clue how .plan files work, but I'd like to.
AllanL5

John Carmack isn't responsible for the layout of planetquake.com, he puts his .plan file up on a server someplace and planetquake runs some automated finger program to read it in and display it on their website.

Also if you are judging someone by the design of their website, you have some serious problems.
Zach M. Send private email

Zach is correct.  .plan files were basically a kind of blog precursor, but they were geared more around "computer people" than the general public. As Zach says, the .plan writers have no control over who grabs the .plan files or how it gets rendered into websites. .plan files were (originally) written in and meant to be read in plain text editors.

Carmack does have a blog now, though it's rarely updated (as in one time in its existence rare :) ).

http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/johnc/Recent%20Updates
Crimson Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics