The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

How to build site similar to

I plan to build a site some thing similar to for lets say jackets only. This site should display all the jackets out there on the web, the seller, price etc.
When user clicks on the product link, he would be redirected to the seller's site. It would be basically price comparison site.

As far as concept is concerned, how does do it? Do they use "glorified" screen scrapers?

My strengths are in .net/sql server. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
Tuesday, February 15, 2005
Read up on "Deep Linking" and so on - as soon as you set yourself up to earn money from this gig, you're a target for those you scrape from wanting your money..
i like i
Thanks for the response.

Are there any books on this subject?
Thanks Peter...

Looks like I have to be Perl expert to use this book. I wish there was .net equivalent book out there.

Or may be I could read the perl code and come up with an equivalent .net code.

Has any one done this before?
I picked up this book about a year ago.  It's quite good.

How is this any different from ?
KC Send private email
Wednesday, February 16, 2005
I just mentioned Jackets as an example. It could be related to alcoholic services where my site would list all the services at one place from all different sites. So every one would be intersted in coming to my site and then land on other sites.
Wednesday, February 16, 2005
maybe web services could come into play, but the issue is who is using them...
Monday, February 21, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics