The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Feature request for JOS forums

Yet another feature request:

I would love that the links to each of the forums used the same trick as the links to each topic (the URL 'Posts' parameter) in order to know if there are new topics posted.

I have the JOS forum page as one of my 'home pages'* and I would like to know if there is any point in visiting.

I understand that this might be a feature for hardcore fans only that visit the site several times a day, but it would't do any harm.

What do the other readers think?

* With 'home pages' I actually mean 'pinned pages' in iRiver (try it if you haven't (no, this is not intended to be a shameless ad, sorry I just happen to like the product =)), which at the end equals to having several home pages.
.NET Developer Send private email
Wednesday, September 22, 2004

"I have the JOS forum page as one of my 'home pages'* and I would like to know if there is any point in visiting... "

... in visiting each of the forums.
Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Actually I also thought about this, i.e. that the links under "Other Groups" be updated when their is a new post under those groups. But, it would be hard to implement if you consider how the forum works. For example how to know if its a new visitor or a repeated visitor and then provide links accordingly?
Pythonic
Thursday, September 23, 2004

It wouldn't be hard to implement at all.  You'd just change the URL from .../discuss.asp?blah=blah to ...discuss.asp?blah=blah&LatestThread=1234, where LatestThread is the message ID of the parent post for the most recent thread.  It'd then work the same way the color change for visited threads works.
Kevin Send private email

Oh! that's an implementation detail, I'm just the user this time.  =)

Yeah, you're right. The feature doesn't justify the implementation effort required.

"For example how to know if its a new visitor or a repeated visitor and then provide links accordingly? "

It's (relatively) simple: instead of linking to "discuss.joelonsoftware.com/?joel"  it links to "discuss.joelonsoftware.com/?joel&topiccount=123", generating the number by counting the topics when the link is generated. That way when you click the link, it becomes "visited" until the number of topics is increased.

It's far from perfect, but the system for counting replies to topics isn't perfect either.

I too, had thought of this, and I think it would be an excellent addition.
blake8086
Friday, September 24, 2004

It would be nice if you could quickly tell if older links have new posts, without trying to recognize changes to the post counter.

Also maybe a little green frog when Muppet posts because his are always good for a laugh.
NetFreak Send private email
Friday, September 24, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics