The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

flagging expired email addresses in classic asp/asp.net

How can I determine that a certain email address is expired at run time so I could flag it.

Out of a list of few hundred email addresses there are quite a few that are bouncing back and its very hard for me to flag them manually.

Please help.
Tania
Saturday, February 12, 2005

Some questions:

Are all of the email addresses going out with the same "From" field? Can you change that field to a catch address?

I am thinking of you having a catch-email address (like noreply@ or bounce@) that, when it receives an email that matches bounced criteria, fires off a process to flag your DB for the email address.
Cory Foy Send private email

How can I fire off a bounce process from email called bounce@myhost.com? Please let me know.
Tania

How can I set a bound criteria?
Tania

You create some kind of script in python, perl, or any other similar language you're familiar with, or for which you can get Cookbook scripts.  The script checks the mail box and stores the bounced address into some kind of file, it could be a database table but it doesn't need to be.

It's really just a few lines in any of the script languages.

Then when you create the outgoing mails (probably best done after you've created the whole list of addresses), you delete the ones that appear on the bounced list.
Simon Lucy Send private email
Sunday, February 13, 2005

I am familiar with vbscript and c# but I can't seem to find such a script. My email account (ext. aspp) is hosted with a hosting company. Please let me know if these kind of scripts are out there.

Thanks
Tania
Sunday, February 13, 2005

Tania,

Assuming you have a mailbox set up to accept bounce@yourhost.com emails, your next step is to find a script that can do POP3 checking. The pseudocode would be something like:

Retrieve messages
for each retrieved message
  insert email address to bounced table
  delete message

Then when you go to to build your outgoing email, cross-reference the table:

Select email address from email address table where email addresses aren't in bounced email table
Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Cory,

Thanks again for the help. Are there any scripts on the internet that would lead me to do the following:

login to the mail server
read the messages

Thank you again in advance
Tania

Try Google with "C# Pop client"

There is one at The Code Project that is a Winform app but should give you the low level details to talk to the mail server:

http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/popapp.asp

Barring that you might want to try experts-exchange.com or rentacoder.com to have someone help write it.

Pete
Thursday, February 17, 2005

Google for "Variable Envelope Response Paths" (VERPs).

As for "reading" bounces, you should be able to configure your mail transport agent to run a program upon recept of an email to a VERP.

If you can't to this, then you are using the wrong operating system.
David Jones Send private email
Saturday, February 19, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics