The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Browser compatibility. IE and Firefox

I have an application developed for IE6.
Though it doesnt perform any javascript/dhtml magic, I see that it doesnt render as expected in Firefox latest version.

I want to make it compatible with Firefox.
I can go through each and every problem and find an alternative code to make it work under firefox. But is there a general checklist somewhere to check for converting from IE based DHTML to Firefox?
(I already did a google for it)
wannabe
Tuesday, February 08, 2005

First check if your HTML and CSS validate, http://validator.w3.org
TM

As well (even though you say there is no DHTML), check any attached scripts for any "document.all" specific code.
Geoff Moller Send private email

"I see that it doesnt render as expected in Firefox latest version."

How unexpected?  If you'll notice even these forum render differently in IE vs. Firefox.  There is no way to get absolute identical rendering across browsers.

However, if it's screwed up then there are lots of little things that you can change.  IE is very forgiving of invalid HTML and just-plain-bad-ideas and it also doesn't render all of the CSS correctly. 

In my head, I have dozens of "rules" for ensuring correct cross-browser rendering.  I can take a look of misbehaving code and know what I need to change.  But, AFAIK, there is no central resource for these types of things.  You generally have to google one problem at a time.
Almost Anonymous Send private email

The advice above to check for valid HTML/CSS is good advice. I'd add to that the suggestion that you check that you're using 'standards' mode instead of 'quirks' mode (by using the appropriate DOCTYPE).

http://www.ferrysoft.com/developmenthowtousedoctype.htm

If you're not already using 'standards' mode in Internet Explorer then switching to it may appear as a retrograde step. However, it will help with cross browser compatability in the longer term. Over the last few months, I've been testing browser compatibility across Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape 7.1, Mozilla 1.4 and Opera 7. As Almost Anonymous says, it is impossible to get identical rendering between any two different browsers. All you can realistically do is design out each difference on a case by case basis until the level of rendering differences become acceptable.
Mike Green Send private email
Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Develop applications for the Web rather than for specific browsers.
John Topley Send private email
Wednesday, February 09, 2005

This site has a lot of good material regarding the ways different browsers (mis)interpret CSS:

http://www.positioniseverything.net/

I don't think you'll find a "conversion checklist" anywhere (the process usually comes down to trial and error -- tweak, reload, tweak, reload, etc.), but one of the articles on this site does have a checklist of IE's rendering "bugs". Good luck!
Jordan Lev Send private email
Thursday, February 10, 2005

Firefox seems to be more standards complient, I tend to develop in Firefox and then every now and again go into IE and others to make sure all is OK.

One method is to develop and test on say Firefox on a Monday, then IE Tuesday and so on so that any minor mistakes are highlighted before you get so far down the line the code is difficult to debug. Might even be worth having 2 browsers open when developing and alternate between the 2.
gilf Send private email
Friday, February 11, 2005

"One method is to develop and test on say Firefox on a Monday, then IE Tuesday and so on so that any minor mistakes are highlighted before you get so far down the line the code is difficult to debug"

Oooh--I really like that idea!  So much that I'm swiping it, in fact.  Much obliged, gilf!  :)
cubiclegrrl
Saturday, February 12, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics