The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Whiteboard application

I am looking for a program to do whiteboarding shared by two or more people for setting up screen layouts and such. My ideal program would allow everyone to draw simultaneously, and to be able to import images with some basic manipulation such as changing size and rotation I've done a couple of days of research, and have come up with a few things that almost work, and one program that I have the source to and might end up modifying, but if there is a good program out there that anyone has been using, I would appriciate it if you let me know.
Kenny Spade Send private email
Friday, February 04, 2005

Netmeeting?
Andy O
Friday, February 04, 2005

> whiteboarding shared by two or more people

A big flipchart.

> allow everyone to draw simultaneously

Several pens.

> import images with some basic manipulation such as changing size and rotation

Scan flipchart pages.

Any more questions?

Saturday, February 05, 2005

Yes, that is obviously the optimal solution.
However, how do you get it to network?
Ayende Rahien Send private email

This might be what you want.  We have them at one of our sites and they're pretty cool:

http://www.smarttech.com/

OneNote SP1 allows you to share pages peer-peer across a network.

Philo
Philo Send private email
Sunday, February 06, 2005

I tried netmeeting at one point, but it didn't seem to be exactly what I was looking for. I'll take a look again and see if I missed something.

I've got a nice big white board, and we use it for when we're all in the office. Unfortunately, the web cam we have doesn't have a good enough resolution to make out the text, and the intern we hired to draw for me has terrible handwriting and spelling.

Regarding the interactive whiteboards: they look pretty cool. How good are they for networking? Say I've got one here and one at home, can I display the same image on both? That would truly be ideal, but perhaps a bit expensive.

And I'm trying out OneNote right now. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Any additional suggestions are welcome.
Monday, February 07, 2005

OneNote seems like it needs some further investigation, but doesn't seem to have the right whiteboard drawing support that I was looking for. I might look in to it a bit further, though.
Monday, February 07, 2005

This is not what OP is asking for, but it works quite well for us: stick a pushpin in the wall about 18 inches above the table we're working on. Hang a little camera on the pin. Drop a pad of paper under there. Draw. Oh, and connect via your fave video conf software--MSN does the trick for us.

Resolution is fine. And when we're done, we have the paper to hang onto. It's not the same as having digital records of it, but I really can't draw with a mouse, so I like this solution.

It doesn't let everyone draw on the same drawing, but both parties can draw at the same time, and see what the other person is doing. You do have flip the image one or both directions, but that's easy enough with most VC sw.

Jeremy
JeremyNYC Send private email
Saturday, February 12, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics