The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

It's the little things

I noticed this the other day.

Somewhere on this site, Our Great Leader mentions the Start Menu problem of the Windows shell. Move the mouse to the exact corner of the screen nearest the start button, click button, nothing happens. (You're on the taskbar, doofus, not the start button.)

I noticed this was fixed in Windows XP. Move the mouse to the corner, click button, up pops start menu. It appears to do this by saving the click, zapping the mouse cursor two pixels up and two pixels to the right (or thereabouts), then playing the click. Thus the start button is pressed.

Resize your taskbar to be two lines high, and it does the same... erm, exactly the same. The click is saved, the mouse is moved, the click is played. And it hits the task bar.

(On a related note, I had to use Linux the other week, and noticed with some amusement that the hit detection for icons was pixel-perfect. To click on a circular icon, for example, you must click *on the circle* or *on the icon*. Between icon and caption -- no good! Inside bounding box but outside circle -- no good!)

(No, I can't remember the window manager system, sorry, they all look the same to me. It had a blue background.)
Thursday, February 03, 2005
I was just noticing this yesterday myself.  But the "slam into the corner" trick doesn't work for a two-line-high taskbar because the Start button moves up.

Of course, this doesn't fix the mile-high-menu-bar problem since the windows still have title bars.  And I wouldn't say the trick works perfectly anyway; if you click before you've stopped moving, the mouse keeps scrolling down after you click and misses the taskbar item (though it still seems to work for the Start button).
Kyralessa Send private email
Thursday, February 03, 2005
Unbelievable but indeed, the cursor snaps two pixels after you click. How hackish.
Alex Send private email
Friday, February 04, 2005
I remember Macs doing the same thing.  If you clicked on the transparent part of the icon you didn't really hit the icon.  It got me a few times wondering why the machine wasn't doing anything.  I don't know if they still do this.  Very frustrating when coming from windows were you know the icon takes up a square region and you don't need to be so precise.
Zekaric Send private email
On my XP machine, if you click under the items on the task-bar, they are still selected, and you can tell that it will work because the menu items light up when the mouse moves onto them . . .
Incidentally, the two-pixel snap only seems to happen if you're using the "Classic" theme under WinXP. The other WinXP themes have a start button that actually reaches all the way to the lower-left corner of the screen, so there's no need to snap the cursor up two pixels.

Benji Smith Send private email

Yeah, I was wondering if I was on crack or everyone else was.  The new theme for XP works the way it should.  No snapping or anything.  Of course, this is somewhat detrimental if you have your taskbar resized to two or even three-high.  It would be nice if it would snap in that case, but what can you do.

I also just noticed the "Green for go" in the lower left and "Red for stop" in the upper-right.  Like, actually conciously noticed it.  That's actually pretty smart, now that I think about it.
Dan Hulton Send private email
Monday, February 07, 2005
...and the hack-snap only works if you use the default Classic theme font size, otherwise even though the cursor jumps, that 2 pixels may not be enough to reach the actual Start menu rectangle. How ugly.

Friday, February 11, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics