The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

••• "The Design of Software" will soon merge...

I'm doing a little bit of discussion group reorganizing. Starting at the new year, this discussion group will be merged into the main "Joel on Software" discussion group.

A lot of people have told me that having too many separate groups is reducing the overall quality of discussion. And I agree. Design of Software is very much on topic for the main Joel on Software group, so I'm going to move it back there.
Joel Spolsky Send private email
Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Sounds good. There isn't much action here anymore anyway.
not again

I don't know.  Might make it even harder to find the worthwhile bits among the dross.  In some ways, it may be a good thing that this forum has so few posts -- there's less incentive for people to post just to hear their own voices.

OTOH, a lot of the questions here might be better asked and answered on stackoverflow.
BillAtHRST Send private email

Have to agree with this one.

Many more eyes on the main JoS forum.
What is this Web stuff, anyway

Might as well - far too many people fail to look at the title of the group to realize that one is to discuss your blog, and the other is for BoS reasons.  Due to that, it's just one big (but inconveniently separated) board anyway.
Karl Perry Send private email
Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Good. While you're at it, you might as well go ahead and do the same with .NET Questions. Either that or just get rid of it. It seems kind of like a ghost town in there.
St. Dick
Friday, December 26, 2008

I think you should merge them all and just have one. I assume this is what you have in mind, and if so, go for it, I say.
Scorpio Send private email
Saturday, December 27, 2008

I disagree,  I just don't have time to browse through all the junk on the BOS and JOS just to answer questions on design of software.  So you will probably lose my readership.  Thats ok.  But please keep the old topics of design of software separate and do not merge it with the JOS because I am not done going through all the past topics.  Reading DOS is enlightening to increase my programming ability.  So please don't junk those old topics.
dd
Monday, December 29, 2008

Personally, I would like "design" to stay.  I've asked a few questions before that are very design specific and would get lost in the "please do my homework" and "how do i get a job in computers" dross of the main forum.

(The main forum is great for certain purposes.  I think, however, that design questions are not those.)
Claire
Tuesday, December 30, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics