The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Terminal Services Question

Lately we have had several users want to run our software in a Terminal Services environment, and it seems to work well.  But of course, I have one client who is reporting trouble. When he runs our software in Win2003 with TS to view a file that we render in IE,  he says browser windows begin to display that file in a cascasing manner, opening in 40 or more windows until he has to reboot the machine.

Has anyone else had this issue? If there is something we've missed to enable our app for TS, we'd like to fix it. We didn't originally design for TS, but it seems like our app has found a useful niche here. But we're a little stumped on this.

Thanks,
Emailalot Send private email
Monday, December 15, 2008

Just to be clear, your software is opening the IE window with a call like CreateProcess(), ShellExecute() or Process.Start()? If so, it sounds like there's some conditional loop, that's not being met, and it keeps launching IE.
Average Midget
Monday, December 15, 2008

And what I mean by that is, it's not being met because of Terminal Service...as if it's trying to get feed-back from the OS but the OS isn't giving back that "Message" over Terminal Service.
Average Midget
Tuesday, December 16, 2008

You have tested this yourself using Server 2003 and Terminal Services?

When you can replicate the problem in your own environment then you stand a chance of fixing it.
Arethuza

+1 Arethuza.

If *you* can't replicate it, how are you going to fix it?

[the rest of this is OT...]
We're going though this now with a client running Citrix (Xen) on a clustered Terminal Server.  So we've got our normal stuff happening, the TS cluster manager, and the Citrix cluster and application managers all involved, and the client is telling us "it doesn't run".  So far, after a few remote sessions on their system with them driving (and not listening to what we're saying), we've almost got them convinced that the're not following either the TS or Citrix installation instructions.  By the time we're done, at this rate, my company will have several thousand dollars sunk in teaching them how to run TS/Citrix for no net gain.

If I had a cluster here, we could trace things and have a solution up in a matter of hours, I think.  But since *we* can't replicate it, it'll be days of work over a couple of months, and the client thinking we're idiots the whole time.
a former big-fiver Send private email

I've seen this happen on XP machines running IE7 when there was a registry key missing for the default email viewer.

The problem would occur when the user clicked an email link on a webpage. Adding the key would fix the problem, and the problem was always user profile specific.
*myName

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics