The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Custom Build

Hello,

I have one software for windows. And I need to build custom builds on the fly. In details, when user will download installer from server (on linux) I need to write somehow some additional data into installer. Then when installer will run on the local computer, this data should be stored in registry or somewhere else and used by installed software later.

I'm looking for technical solution for that.

Thanks.
akorz Send private email
Sunday, December 14, 2008

An installer comes with extension mechanisms to accomplish that, usually through scripting. You may want to read the documentation of your installer.

For example? Inno Setup? NSIS?

If you are using apache you can rename on the fly using a .htaccess file, mine looks something like this:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^setup_[a-zA-Z0-9]*\.exe$ /dl/setup.exe

The any reference to a file like setup_cnet.exe or setup_tucows.exe retrieves the file setup.exe

If you are using an installer like Inno you can save the installer name into the registry like this

[Registry]
Root: HKLM; SubKey: "Software\Company Name\Product Name"; ValueType: string; ValueName: "SetupName"; ValueData: "{srcexe}"; Flags: uninsdeletekey createvalueifdoesntexist
Tony Edgecombe Send private email
Monday, December 15, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics