The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Parallel Programming: follow up

In http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?design.4.565824.13 I asked for some resources related to parallel programming. I said I'd follow up, so here I am.

First, thanks to everybody for some really excellent leads.

Second, my head hurts :) I think I've got a decent handle on the basics, but that's as far as I'm going to take it. Some of this stuff reminds me of cryptography in that you either have everything perfect or you're screwed. I'll take whatever the compiler, OS, language, or framework gives me and keep my grubby little paws to myself.
Ron Porter Send private email
Saturday, November 22, 2008

"I'll take whatever the compiler, OS, language, or framework gives me and keep my grubby little paws to myself."

Me too. Built-in support will only improve, as processors are going multi-core in a big way, now that the clock rate increases have slowed down.
Scorpio Send private email
Sunday, November 23, 2008

>> Some of this stuff reminds me of cryptography in that you either have everything perfect or you're screwed. <<

That's a pretty apt way of putting it.
And yes, that's it in a nutshell.
xampl
Sunday, November 23, 2008

Oh, that's not the half of it. Once you do get a reasonable handle on it and are able to make a bit progress you will be inundated by management and customers who know absolutely nothing about what it takes and expect you to wave your magic wand over every product to make it 10X faster. As Andy Devine would put it: Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!
SumoRunner Send private email
Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I've already had to deal with that one, SumoRunner. Somebody went and read an ad for something with multiple processors and put 2 and 2 together. The first thing I did was push back and ask them to explain to me how they would get two or more people to divide up the work in such a way that nobody had to talk to anybody until everybody was done. That got them off my back, because the particular problem they were addressing is fundamentally serial.

The second thing I did was pop in here for advice so that I could see if I was right :) I was, mostly, but I was surprised at how risky it is for someone like me to use phrases like 'fundamentally serial'.
Ron Porter Send private email
Wednesday, November 26, 2008

some great resources for parallel programming on .Net - http://blogs.msdn.com/pfxteam/
Ashish Jaiman Send private email
Thursday, December 04, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics