The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Using SQLite backed in .NET apps ?

I'm new to developing on Windows.  All my previous development has been on Unix systems (mainly web apps, but some backend server stuff too).

I really like SQLite.  A no nonsense, small, light database engine.  For my apps, I've never needed anything more feature-rich or powerful.

Now I've started in .NET land.  When developing with Visual Studio I can create databases within my app to store data.  I've seen around the web that I can get a SQLite "plugin" (uncertain if that is the correct term ... apologies if not) for .NET / VS.

My question - has anyone used SQLite with their .NET apps instead of the built-in Microsoft engine?  If so, why?  Did it make things quicker?  Did it make datastores smaller?  Did you hope less people would casually poke around inside your app's database as it wasn't immediately obvious the file on disk _was_ a database?

Thanks,

Steve.
Steven
Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ah dammit....

s/backed/backEND/ in title.

Sorry.....
Steven

I used system.data.sqlite.dll in my last project, and it works and performs without a hitch. I'm not worried about poking - if I was, I'd enable encryption.

SQLite is great!
Zealotry

i too used system.data.sqlite.dll on a recent project. i'm a recent adopter of .net languages and a long-time user of sqlite. no problems so far.

-din
Don Dickinson

Hi,

This is indeeed a nice light weight engine and I recommend it. I use it for data collection and reporting.

Have a look for sqlite explorer. Its a really nice GUI environment to manage your SQLite databases.

Also, have a look at SQL Server Compact Edition. Similar kind of setup (few dlls: xcopy like deployment). The number of writes is much faster than SQLite.net on my last benchmark (back in May 08). You can also enable it for ASP.NET apps. Won't work on mono though.

If you need mono support (linux, windows and mac) have a look at VistaDB. I do like the engine, slower than the above two, but runs in managed code and support SQL Server T-SQL syntax for stored procecures.

Have fun.

Ajay
Ajay Soni Send private email

I am using SQL Server Compact myself, but if I was already familiar with SQLite I'd probably have gone that way instead.

If you are deploying to Vista, test and make sure your app will run properly as a non-privileged user.  I seem to recall reading about some problems there.  Probably someone was sticking the db in \Program Files (a no no), but I don't recall for sure.
Matt Conrad Send private email
Monday, November 24, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics