The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

.NET V2 vs. V3

Apologies for all the V's in the subject...

I'm going to make and market a relatively simply WinForms app.  I'm going to use Visual Studio and .NET so that I can get an initial cut out there as quickly as possible (I keep hearing that as a strategy from the various JoS boards so that's what I'm going to do).

For a long time I loathed .NET apps as I had to download the .NET framework and for relatively novice users (who make up the bulk of my potential userspace) I can see this being a PITA.

(Appreciate that there are other frameworks such as WX but please just assume I'm going forwards with .NET this time).

My app isn't anything complex and I don't really care about using LINQ - I'm happy with the "older" data access stuff.

My theory is that more people will have V2 of the .NET framework already on their PCs compared to V3.

So my question is - is there anything "bad" about a decision to develop against V2 .NET even though V3 is available?  My goal here is trying to make the largest percentage of my potential userbase able to install and use without additional downloads.

If I go with V2, am I missing and "killer" features that were brought int with V3?

Thanks,

Claire
Claire
Thursday, November 13, 2008

To me the biggest killer feature in V3 is WPF but it doesn't sound like you need that.

Personally, I would go with V2 if I didn't specifically need any of the new UI stuff in V3. Remember, V3 is actually V2 with a few extra's so the core framework hasn't changed much between them. And since Vista essentially has both V2 and V3 (since V2 is part of V3) you can easily target V2 and not require Vista users to install something new.

So I would agree that the best bet is probably V2 in your case. In my case I chose to use V3 to get WPF.
dood mcdoogle

If you aren't interested in LINQ (IMO the best addition to .NET 3.5) or things like WPF/WCF, then I'd say stick with 2.0.
WayneM. Send private email

"If I go with V2, am I missing and "killer" features that were brought int with V3?"

That kind of depends on what makes a feature a 'killer'-feature for you. I've been using the parallel extensions a lot, but these are also available for .NET 2.0.

One more point to consider during the discussion;
"If I go with V3, am I missing and "killer" features that were brought int with V2?"

You might not be compatible with Mono anymore; "The Mono API today is somewhere in between .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.5"

Have fun and let us know what road your going to take :)
Eddy Vluggen Send private email
Saturday, November 15, 2008

If you are talking about the C# 3.0 compiler, I think you can get best of both worlds! You can use the c# 3.0 compiler and still target .net 2.0 framework if you use VS2008. I also heard that LINQ lives in a single dll and if you include that in your project, you can get that too! (Note: for a desktop app, you can't do this legally. On the other hand, you could do it for a web app). VS2008 uses c# 3.0 compiler so even if you target .net 2.0 framework, you still get all of its goodies like lambda expressions, anonymous types, var, etc. You just can't use any .Net 3.5 specific classes.
Ed Send private email
Sunday, November 16, 2008

I believe the latest version of Mono supports c# 3.0 compiler goodies as well.
Ed Send private email
Sunday, November 16, 2008

Late to the conversation.

I stuck with 2.0 to reduce end-user hassle.  My assumption is requiring extra downloads = fewer sales.

If you don't have a compelling need to use 3.0, 3.5 (and soon 4.0, 4.5), then don't.
Matt Conrad Send private email
Monday, November 24, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics