The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Wicket with client-side execution?

Hi,

I'm wondering what others think of the idea of combining Apache Wicket with a Java to Javascript translator. You'd build your UI using HTML and CSS, as usual, but instead of binding server-side business logic to HTML IDs, your code would get translated to Javascript and execution 100% on the client end.

Does this concept interest anyone else? Do you see any problems with it?
Gili Send private email
Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sorry, one clarification. The resulting (client-side) code would still be able to communicate with server-side web services. It's just that this tool would not produce web services, it would produce a webapp.

So for example, you'd build the client-end using this tool then the server end using REST, EJBs, servlets, SOAP, etc.
Gili Send private email

I had the same good idea recently regarding client-side validation. But a wider scope could be quite useful as well.
Jonathan Locke Send private email

Where can we discuss this in more detail? Should I start a new topic on the wicket-users mailing list?
Gili Send private email
Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Gili Send private email
Wednesday, October 22, 2008

why not use GWT if you want the complete web app like that
Thats the key difference between wicket and gwt

Maybe we could use parts of it like validators but wider then that i dont see the usecase (except creating a gwt clone)
Johan Compagner Send private email
Thursday, October 23, 2008

As I explained on the mailing list, I am not proposing Wicket become GWT. GWT converts Java code into HTML, CSS and JS. I am saying that Java code be used to generate JS code and nothing else. You would still write HTML and CSS code using the native languages. GWT suffers from the lack of separation of concerns on this front.
Gili Send private email
Saturday, October 25, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics