The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Web Server & App Integration

Hi Guys,

I have an embedded software component written in C++ which monitors movement and camera sensing devices. Among other things, it maintains telemetry for these devices and I'd like to deploy a web server alongside it to provide access to this telemetry.

I'd appreciate any advice you have on how best to get the web server talking to the embedded component. My hopes are for a lightweight mechanism which is portable and open for extension.

In the past I've used implementations which use sockets and shared memory to do this integration and these are options but since I'm no expert on web technologies I wanted so see if there's a better way to do this.

Many thanks in advance,
Barney
Bernard Surfrin Send private email
Wednesday, October 01, 2008

We do the exact thing you are asking about.  We use a RESTful interface over sockets.  The web ui we have is php running on lighttpd.
Spyplane Send private email
Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Is there any reason you can't embedd an HTTP server in your app?  Quite a few apps do that, and it's not that hard.
Doug
Thursday, October 02, 2008

Thanks a lot for your inputs guys - I'll investigate both the embedded HTTPd and the RESTful interface ideas!

Cheers!
B*
Bernard Surfrin Send private email
Tuesday, October 14, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics