The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Application Description for top level Reporting section

In my application the unit of management is a project and each project has its reporting so you can run the standard reports as relate to that project.

I have had a request to be able to report on 2 or more projects without having to open up each project which I have now implemented but am struggling to come up with a description for that type of reporting in the menu.

Think visual studio. Imagine you could run a standard report each time you opened a project/solution on say LOC or comments. Now say you wanted to run a single report on 5 projects from a single interface, what would you call that menu option?

Would appreciate your ideas.

Many thanks
basildon
Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Multi-project reporting"?

Visual Studio already has a name for all your projects, which is "Solution".  So in that context, "Solution reporting" or "Solution-wide reporting".  If you also have a name for a set of projects, you should use that.
Richie Hindle Send private email
Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hey, thanks Richie,

There is no collective name for a bunch of projects in my app as each one is standalone.

I had a working name of "Cross Project Reporting" but it just seemed wrong. Multi-Project Reporting works better.

Cheers
basildon
Wednesday, October 01, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics