The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

dll or activeX database

I need an simple databasa for integrating into an service program (non multiuser btw).
Do you know some simple database I can use as ActiveX or dll?

the maximum use is intended several thounsands records, each record containing only a string key and a very little number of fileds.

I need this for integrating in an old vb6 existing app.

Thanks in advance.
Guillermo Send private email
Sunday, September 28, 2008

What about SQLite.dll?
RGlasel Send private email

Or even simpler use DAO and create MS Access based .mdb file which has a limit of 2GB is fast for a few users. You have ActiveX support and tonnes of documents.

SQLite is really nice and nice but you will be a higher learning curve potentially.

The other way of integrating an old VB6 app into your service app is using web services. You can use the free MS SOAP toolkit to call web services, this is nicer (probably better) than moving data using a database.

Cheers
Ajay Soni Send private email

Why not just use an im-memory database? Create a simple data file format to hold the data in (XML comes to mind) and read it into memory and manipulate it there. It doesn't sound like you really need a database.

But if you really decide that you do, I'll second the recommendation for SQL lite.
uggh

in-memory database would be nice,
but I need locate (using key), add, delete and change records in a way similar as databases.
There is any activex for this purpouse available?
I don't want to code more than a little and be able to locate records, delete or change one/two non-key fields.

I even would use registry or even ini-files but prefer if a mini-database is available in activex or dll.
Monday, September 29, 2008

Have you _looked_ at SQLite?

It _is_ an SQL database engine that is implemented in a single library/DLL.  You can SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE with a key.  You can have your database in memory or in a file.
Doug

About SQLite I've read the comment
<<but you will be a higher learning curve potentially>>

And I'm afraid of this, waiting to see other more easy for me purpouse.

Thanks to all yours help.

Hi,

Didn't want to scare you off. There are plenty of resources/examples:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/111285/using-sqlite-with-vb6

Have fun.

Ajay
Ajay Soni Send private email
Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Thanks for the link!

seems to be useful.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics