The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Design solution for .NET application.

Hi guys,

I'm about to start a new desktop application. I've to use the following:

.NET - C#
WinForms
Oracle 10g database

In this project will be involved small team about 3 programmers. This application will be used by 15 users at most.

The application is CRM like. It will use Oracle database for retrieving and storing data.

I don't want to build everything from scratch. I have a tough time to decide what tools to use in order to achieve flexible and well structured solution. I've read about SCSF/CAB and Castle Project, but I'm not sure that I'm checking suitable tools.

Can you suggest good design open source projects that use same technologies and Oracle database?

Please help! What tools/Frameworks you would use? What design in your opinion is the best for described application?

Thanks in advance.
XBuster Send private email
Sunday, September 28, 2008

Have you looked at the Microsoft Patterns and Practices site? They have several papers there that are very informational.

For example:

Smart Client Architecture and Design Guide

and

Application Architecture for .NET: Designing Applications and Services
dood mcdoogle

I think some of those tools are very worthwhile using, especially from the Castle project. But it is more important to know "why" they are important first. You should read this ebook http://www.google.com.au/search?q=foundations+of+programming+alt.net first.
Craig Send private email

I used CSLA w/ Oracle recently, and it worked well.  You've really got a lot of choices here, depending on what you're trying to speed up.
D. Lambert Send private email

Assume you've been looking at ActiveRecord within the Castle stuff..
Just keep in mind that it doesn't support disconnected edit like a dataet does, so if you were planning a client/server winform app (for example) it can give you some headaches.
AR is really more suited to web work that have simple databases and simple queries (i.e. select * from tablea), if your database has lots of foreign keys or you need to do summary queries or join tables in queries you are better off avoidng it IMHO. It can do this stuff but it requires alot of effort to do some things that are pretty easy in SQL. If you do end up doing join queries you either have to write a class to stick the data in to or work with multi dimensional arrays of untyped data, which is no fun at all.

If its a web app or a pure CRUD application you'll be okay, anything past that I'd keep looking.
Anon
Monday, September 29, 2008

Thank you all for your comments/suggestions. I'll definitely check out tools/papers that you wrote about.

It would also help if you could suggest good design open source projects that use same technologies and Oracle database.
XBuster
Thursday, October 02, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics