The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

How to survive when you don't work for Fog Creek

The software design tips given in the article on Kuro5hin at the moment, sound way to familiar to me.

How many others have similar problems?
Hulver Send private email
Friday, January 28, 2005
>Document everything. Preserve your old emails.
>If possible, keep them in a personal archive so that
>you can use them, but they cannot be used against you.
LOL. Their have been a couple times I would keep memos offsite, with supporting documentation. So that if I ended up in a court room, I could hold up the docs and say *he did it* as well as prove it. There are more than a few places where things are sleazy enough that e-mail might end up getting edited and changed. Or, tell you that you are fired, walk you to the door, and then fake a "farewell" email where you confess to betraying jesus, shooting JFK, and sabotaging the shuttle.

If there is something unethical enough that it might appear in a court room or on CSPAN testifying before congress, I make sure to cover my exhaust. Fraud going on? Launch the shuttle when it is too cold? I will have a couple copies at home in case you might want to give bad references or blame me. And at least one copy is kept with a friend, in case cops show up with a search warrant to sieze my copies.
Friday, January 28, 2005
It's a little bitter, but in the main accurate.  Especially that one about keeping track of what you're doing, why, why you un-do it, and the emails that directed both activities.

That one and Overtime.  Classic.  "I worked late 4 times this week" is worth the article.
Friday, January 28, 2005
It's a very cynical article.

It's funny because it's true though. Many things in it struck a chord with me.
hulver Send private email
Friday, January 28, 2005
Funny article and too true.
Sassy Send private email
Sunday, January 30, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics