The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Continuous Integration?

Is anyone here using tools like Cruise Control or Cruise Control .Net?  What are your experiences with them?

Thanks!
Aaron F Stanton Send private email
Thursday, January 27, 2005

We use FinalBuilder, and I'm satisfied with it.

We are doing C++, and having a seperate build server ensures that all our code compiles and all tests pass. It builds the setups, too. We did a great burst in quality, since then and I would recommend continous integration to anyone.

I tried CruiseControl before switching to FinalBuilder, but figured out it was too Java centric to be effectivly used for C++ projects. It also is too difficult to be used for my taste (why should I know about Tomcat just to build my projects?).

Since CruieControl.Net is unreachable at the moment, I cannot say anything about that.
Gerd Riesselmann
Friday, January 28, 2005

The CruiseControl.Net site is a bit flaky.  Sometimes it takes forver to come up, sometimes not.

I think that you can use ant (the underlying build system of CruiseControl) for all kinds of tasks besides Java, but it is indeed pretty Java-centrix.

Thanks for letting me know that it's been useful as a general tool for you.
Aaron F Stanton Send private email
Friday, January 28, 2005

I have not done continuous integration. But i always done periodic daily builds depending on the size of the build and the time it takes to run unit tests and smoke tests. If you can build with a make like product then doing continuous builds is fairly trivial because you just need a timer around your normal build process. Your normal build should be capable of doing everything.
son of parnas
Friday, January 28, 2005

We have been using draco.net http://draconet.sf.net/ for a large project for well over a year now and it has been great.

Check code in an couple of hours later get back a full build report and unit test results.

The investment of time in getting things set up and running is very worthwhile.  Previously we had build and test processes that relied a lot of scripts, .bat files, etc. 

It is great motivation to fix little things that cause the odd test to fail and ensure you don't break the build!
Rob Walker
Friday, January 28, 2005

I have set up CruiseControl.NET at office (with VSS and devenv).. nothing fancy..

It really helps to catch bad checkins.. I have set it up so that it builds every ten minutes if something changes.

The downsides I noticed are:
1. I seem to tbe only guy who keeps an eye on the build. Most other developers do not care..

2. Our servers are in GMT -7, but we are at GMT -4. So some developers have the time at GMT -4 on their local machine and  the build does not pick up the stuff properly.

But other than that, it is a great tool :)
Vaidhy Send private email
Friday, January 28, 2005

I have been using CruiseControl for a while now. We build all our projects every 15 minutes. Its great. I would not do development any other way now.
James
Thursday, February 17, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics