The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Putting common framework in cli/srv system under version ctrl

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to put client/server system (two separate solutions now) sharing the same framework (both solutions refer to same source code folder now) under version control.

Could anyone recommend some good article on the subject?

Thanks.
Alex
Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Which version control system are you using?
John Topley Send private email

A simple approach is to have three branches and version the common framework library. That way updates to the framework do not require immediate updates to both the client and server, but instead lets each update on its own cycle.
Benjamin Manes Send private email

Oh, completely forgot to tell that I'm using Subversion.

Thanks, John!
Alex

Ben, the problem is that framework defines data structures that may change from time to time, and client and server need them to be up-to-date, because they talk to each other via remoting.
Alex

We use svn:external property variable to bring an external reference.
Glitch
Thursday, August 28, 2008

Yes, I was thinking of this and was actually using this feature in one projects, but I think it's kind of too much hassle to update all externals when framework gets branched...
Alex
Thursday, August 28, 2008

This is the single area where I liked SourceSafe more -- shared branches.  But everything else was more than enough to drive me away and try svn!  I didn't know about svn:external -- need to go Google :)
Doug
Friday, August 29, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics