The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

which framework/tech for this

I would like to start playing with building a site (portal?) centered around a specific subject supporting communal activities (how is that for vague!). There are existing such sites already for various subjects, but most are living in the dark ages in terms of usability, technology, etc. Depending on how the experiment goes, it could also involve some webapp development as well.

Even though I've been trying to get upto speed with all the available technologies de jour, I am still pretty new to this stuff. So the question is which of the following should I pick to go with (at least initially):

1) Build it from scratch
  1a) PHP + an MVC framework
  1b) Ruby on Rails
  1c) ASP.NET MVC

2) Use drupal (or a similar suitable off-the-shelf CMS) + available modules + custom ones which I would write

Either would work I guess. The visionary in me says, go for 1) for most flexibility, thinking 2) may be too limiting, but then again, I am a newbie, so perhaps I should go with 2), get some experience and then try 1) after that.

Btw, if you don't like my options, feel free to recommend something else.
builder
Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I would choose whatever option allowed you to create a "beta" version of the website as quick as possible.

If everything goes well (i.e. you have lots of users ... and even better people paying you money) then improve as required.

If things go really really well and you have scalability issues consider re-writing then.

I'm also a big fan of Drupal (but you can replace with whatever CMS you prefer) for allowing you to create a reasonably full featured site very quickly.  As long as the types of features you require are reasonably standard and are provided by the core CMS and/or available add-on modules.

You really need to have a list of required features to get better answers.
Ray Smith Send private email
Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I would definitely go with something off the shelf to start with. In point one you mention .NET, PHP and Ruby as possible options to build it in. All three could do the job equally well but because you are considering all three says to me you are not an expert in any of them or else you would have chosen it by default. If you are not an expert in those languages then building something could be a long hard slog.
Craig Send private email
Tuesday, August 26, 2008

DNN (www.dotnetnuke.com) is a portal framework, build around a set of standard modules "handle user registration"/Articles/Wiki/Forum/Links/Documents/Media Gallery/Blog/Shop, ect. and a framework for building you own custom modules, or extending the build-in ones and all open source. On top of that hundreds of custom modules/add-ons to buy (see site), large user and developer community, many hosting options, including a few that will do all upgrades for you wen new versions are released. I use www.ihostasp.net, starting at $8.45 with one instance of DNN (You can run several sites on one instance if you want). Good support, not the fastest servers but stable.

regards,
Thomas Møller Jensen Send private email
Wednesday, August 27, 2008

@Craig:

> ...but because you are considering all three says to me
> you are not an expert in any of them or else you would
> have chosen it by default.

No I am not, but we all have to start from somewhere right?

> If you are not an expert in
> those languages then building something could be a long
> hard slog.

That's ok. The point is to learn as I move along.
builder

> That's ok. The point is to learn as I move along.

That's fair enough. Just it could take many months or longer to get something done that a potential off the shelf could do in days or weeks.
Craig Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics