The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

UI question - what do you call this control?

What do you call the sort of control that gives you two list boxes, side by side, with arrows between them.  Clicking the arrows allows you to move items back and forth between the boxes.

AAA --> DDD
BBB    EEE
CCC <-- FFF

I've seen this hundreds of times, but don't know what you call it.
Jason Send private email
Thursday, August 07, 2008

It's not a true "control" and that's why it doesn't have a name. It is a composite control made up of lots of little standard controls.
uggh

yeah, but I see what he is saying there should be a name for it since it happens so often.

I'm sure it's been named at some point, but right now it is just some link buttons and some buttons as far as I know.
Sara C Send private email

GMS: Glorified Multiple Select :)

Joking, but you're right, we should settle on a name.
Don't Fix What Ain't Broke

Yeah, it's a VERY old interface pattern. The first version I remember see was on the Macintosh in 1984 with the Font/DA Mover program (one list was the list of Fonts/DAs installed on the system, the other list was a list of Fonts/DAs in some file you had opened).

Now that you mention it, I'm quite surprised that there ISN'T a name for this UI pattern: the Apple folk were all hot to name stuff that they thought they had invented.
Jeffrey Dutky Send private email

I'm glad to know that it's not just me being ignorant.  For a change.
Jason Send private email

It's called a "picklist".
Christopher Wells Send private email

Re: Christopher Wells and "picklist"

When I do a google image search for "picklist" most of the images only show a single list, while the OP is asking about a PAIR of lists, and controls to move items from one list to the other (usually in either direction A-to-B and B-to-A).

I call it "poor interface design" 8)

Why not just make a list with checkboxes next to each item? Or at least make the list items draggable between the two "buckets."
Ken Sharpe Send private email

the first three hits I get from Google are exactly what I was looking for, so "picklist" looks like a winner
Jason Send private email

"Picklist" functionality may have different representations/appearances on different platforms ... e.g. it might be a single list with each list item having a checkbox, on platforms which support that.

Re: Jason and Christopher

Ok, cool: "picklist" it is. It's always nice to have a name for something that is otherwise cumbersome to describe.

It's called a Dual List Box, or at least has been for more than a decade in CodeGear (Borland) development tools.
Ken White Send private email

This is good interface design because it's much more productive than a list of check boxes since you can easily compare what is selected to what is not selected.

But don't we need a way to distinguish between two scenarios:

1) Clicking the arrow _removes_ the item from list A and adds it to list B (the item disappears from list A)
2) Clicking the arrow _copies_ the item from list A and adds it to list B (the item is still present in list A).

We use both scenarios at work ...
Christian Riis Send private email
Friday, August 08, 2008

In the (non-MS) implementations I've seen you actually have four actions: copy from A to B, copy from B to A, delete from A, and delete from B (or simply delete current selection, with selections in the two lists being exclusive: if you select an item in one list, the selection in the other list is cleared). Again, the instance that I am most familiar with was actually managing the contents of two files, so this makes perfect sense. I don't recall if the interface allowed you to copy the same item more than once from one file to the other.

In the MS implementations I have seen this is used to construct toolbars and such. In this case, once you have added an item to list B, it disappears from list A because you can't add it to list B again. Similarly, when you remove something from list B it reappears in list A because it can now (again) be added to list B. This use case is nearly identical to the single-list-with-checkboxes case (which doesn't mean we shouldn't have multiple UI elements that address the same physical use case).

(boy, this would be a lot easier to discuss if we could attach images to our posts)
Friday, August 08, 2008

Jenifer Tidwell calls it a list builder
Matt Winkelmann Send private email
Friday, August 08, 2008

In our app we call it a Dual Select.
Ted
Monday, August 11, 2008

TransferBox
Alfred Send private email
Monday, August 25, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics