The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Constraint Optimization

I have to do some constraint optimization for a project.  I've looked at wikipedia and some papers.

So far I've implemented branch and bound, bredth first search, russian doll algorithm.

My algorithm is handling about 20k assignments per second and reduces the search space (on larger problems) about 99.95%. 

My goal is being able to solve 75% of problems with dimensions 70 x 100 within 2 seconds.

Anyone have any advice or experience in this area?  Thanks.
SF
Wednesday, August 06, 2008

No, but you rock anyway :)
quant dev Send private email
Saturday, August 09, 2008

I'm really stuck in this area.  Its way to slow for my needs and I'm not any further towards being fast enough.  :/

Saturday, August 09, 2008

> Anyone have any advice or experience in this area?  Thanks.

Plenty.  What is your question?
OP hater
Sunday, August 10, 2008

I don't know if I know enough to ask specific questions that will help me achive my goal.

I don't really know where to start searching for better answers.

My problem is trying to find optimal groupings, so my cost function varies on the partial solution as opposed to being a fixed cost per move.  (For example, having a group bigger than a fixed size has a large cost, but any group smaller than that point isn't penalized).

How do I figure out how to improve from here?

Monday, August 11, 2008

> I don't really know where to start searching for better answers.

Maybe you want to talk with some people who's speciality this is, and/or read what they've written. In Toronto, for example, that might be at http://www.fields.utoronto.ca/
Christopher Wells Send private email
Monday, August 11, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics