The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

SWF to...?

Hi, I have some videos, produced for web viewing. Thing is I need them as a single file.

Currently they are in folders, complete with html page, controller files and watnot, with the videos themselves in .swf format.

I've tried just changing the .swf to .flv but that doesn't seem to work, unless I directly point media player classic at the file.

Camtasia can produce videos like this but doesn't seem to be able to do anything with them afterwards. This were produced by someone else and I need to edit them for size and as a single file, preferably AV but anything Camtasia can work with would be fine.

I tried a couple of video converter demos, which did absolutely nothing. Am I missing something here?

A.
Adam Send private email
Friday, August 01, 2008

Use a video editor like Windows Movie Maker to append them all together, then save out as one file.
John
Friday, August 01, 2008

That certainly sounds like a plan... but how does one do that?

Both Camtasia and Movie Maker only seem to acknowledge the existence of videos, audio and images?

A.
Adam Send private email
Saturday, August 02, 2008

Well having tried 5 different demos of conversion software finally found one capable of doing this, 'swf toolbox'.

But thanks for the help anyway
Adam Send private email
Monday, August 04, 2008

Convert the videos to .avi or another format recognized by your video editor, using a video converter. Then import them into the editor, and append them into one big movie. Then save it out, and convert it to another format if you want with your video converter.
John
Monday, August 04, 2008

I think that converting FLV to a more common video format will be your problem - FLV is usually streamed off a web server, and is not so commonly used as a storage format (for videos you share or keep on a hard drive or whatnot).

So if you can find an app to convert FLVs you're set, though I don't have any examples unfortunately.
aph Send private email
Monday, August 04, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics