The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

User Interface Repeated Buttons

I'm designing an interface to maintain a list of people for a web based application.

The most common action a user to this form will be using is an add person button.  I would like to give the button to do this the top position on the page.

Also on the page is a list of people, under a 100, so paging isn't vital, and a button to move to the next form.

A person might need to review the list to determine if they need to add another person or move to the next form.  So it makes sense to add a button at the bottom of the list.

So my solution seems to direct me to place the same button in two places.  Does putting the same button on a from in two places confuse the user?  Is it poor form?

Thanks.
SF
Friday, July 25, 2008

Hotmail has the same page navigation UI both at the top and the bottom of the Inbox.

I wouldn't find it confusing, as long as the layout of the buttons at the top and bottom of the list is the same.

Another alternative you could consider is to put the list in a scrolling div, so that the buttons at the top remain accessible when the user scrolls through the list.
Joe
Friday, July 25, 2008

+1 to Joe. Exactly what I was going to say.
Odysseus Send private email
Friday, July 25, 2008

And as long as the buttons are clearly labelled.

Don't copy a certain enterprise app I'm forced to use that ends up presenting the user with two buttons, identical in appearance, in similar locations, that do totally different things.
Iago
Friday, July 25, 2008

Try it both ways.

See which way actually works.

Do it that way.

Opinions are like butts - everyone has one, but generally they're best kept to oneself. And no "opinion", regardless of how well informed it may be, can substitute for actually finding out.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics