The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

dll to dll and exe to dll

I have the following issue:
I have a dll which has all the functions to drive a hardware. There is a function called transmit in this dll.
I use this function to transmit data from another dll and an executable. I see a difference in the way the transmit function behaves when called from another dll compared to when called from another executable. All other preconditions are absolutely identical. Can anyone see a reason why this might happen(....dll to dll  is different from exe to dll???).
 Cheers
adarsh murthy Send private email
Thursday, July 24, 2008

I give up. What's the difference in behavior?
Bob
Thursday, July 24, 2008

This seems like a tailor-made scenario for using a problem solving technique that Raymond Chen just blogged about:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2008/07/23/8765362.aspx
mwb
Thursday, July 24, 2008

I believe an exe 'owns' its process space, and when it calls code in a dll it 'loads' the dll into its process space -- thus the dll code runs in the exe code's "context".

When a dll calls code in another dll -- I'm not sure what happens.  Does the exe calling the FIRST dll also load the second dll?  Does the first dll load the second dll?

I've loaded "ActiveX" controls (an EXE file) from a 'master' EXE file, and then called methods in the ActiveX controls.  In this case, I had to use 'timers' to insure that the ActiveX call ran in its own 'context' -- otherwise, the 'master' exe program would 'wait' on the ActiveX control call to complete, which would defeat the multi-tasking model I was trying to implement.
AllanL5
Thursday, July 24, 2008

you haven't provided nearly enough detail. how are you "transmitting" the data? i assume that this a ring-3 dll (not a device driver)?
Don Dickinson Send private email
Friday, July 25, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics