The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Is Safari on Windows same as on Mac?

Well that was the question!  I haven't got access to a Mac but now that Safari is available on Windows, I wondered if it  rendered the same on a Windows PC as it does on a Mac (fonts and controls excepted I suppose).

The point is that I try to make my web pages cross-browser compatible of course, so I wondered if I could test on Windoze Safari and it would be relatively similar on the Mac.

Any thoughts/views?
Dale Harrison Send private email
Sunday, July 20, 2008

It is, including font and control rendering.
John Topley Send private email
Sunday, July 20, 2008

It should look identical on Safari on Windows and Safari on the Mac, right down to the font rendering.
Martin Pilkington Send private email
Sunday, July 20, 2008

It should render identically.

But if you've got a spare $799, think about buying a Mac Mini.  They're nice machines.  All you'll need is a monitor, USB keyboard & mouse.  If you don't have quite that much money, look on eBay for a used PowerPC Mini -- it'll run Leopard with no problems (you *will* want to upgrade to 1gb RAM, however)
xampl
Sunday, July 20, 2008

You can check the rendering of any browser on any OS using Browsershots, a remarkable free service:
http://browsershots.org/

It is not much use, though, if you want to test your client-side JavaScript. Then you would be best trying to obtain use of a Mac.
Steve McLeod Send private email
Wednesday, July 23, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics