The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

A geometry problem

Is there a mathematician in the house? I need some help with a fairly juicy programming+geometry problem. More details here:
http://successfulsoftware.net/2008/07/18/a-mathematical-digression/
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, July 18, 2008

Have you though about trying to invert the problem?  As far as I know people typically don't have tables fabricated to size so the feature as planed is mildly useless IMO.  Why not allow users to input multiple table sizes and then add chairs to their table sizes till you can't add no more(then go back and even out the space.)
Brian
Friday, July 18, 2008

Auto-sizing a table according to the number of seats by works great as a quick default. I don't intend to change the approach.
Friday, July 18, 2008

Try solving for A+D B+D  This will give you the ellipse that passes through the center of the chair ring. The circumference is exactly N*D  using your circumference equation and your assumption about the ratio of A/B then it should be easy to solve.

Next for laying out the chairs place one chair anywhere. The next chair can be found with a triangle. where one side is length D(it connects the centers of the two circles) one side length D/2(it goes from the center of the circle to the ellipse) use pythagorean to solve for the third side. using the location of I-1 and the hypotenuse of the triangle there should be two points of intersection with the ellipse. From there it should be easy to locate the third point which is the center of the circle.
Brian
Saturday, July 19, 2008

>The circumference is exactly N*D 

Only for infinitely large N.

>use pythagorean to solve for the third side

Are you sure it is a right angle triangle? It might be, but I'm not sure.
Saturday, July 19, 2008

>Only for infinitely large N.
And only if all the circles touch.
There is a little loss since the ellipse is curved instead of straight lines through the circles.  The loss will be based on D not N.
Brian
Saturday, July 19, 2008

Actually I think you are right about the triangles I don't think you can assume the right angle.
Brian
Saturday, July 19, 2008

I have to ask, N starting at 1??  Would that be for the annual Anti-Social Society Dinner?  :)
sgf
Saturday, July 19, 2008

It strikes me that this is the kind of problem that's best solved empirically.  In the physical world, oval tables aren't available in infinitely variable elliptical sizes.  They aren't even necessarily ellipses.

It should be sufficient to construct a curve with a few data points (generated by using actual tables and actual chairs) and then extrapolate or interpolate as needed.  It may seem inelegant, but I'm not sure how much elegance there is in assuming the existence of furniture that has no physical properties.
Robert Rossney Send private email
Monday, July 21, 2008

>They aren't even necessarily ellipses.

No, but ellipse are good enough and simpler to model.
Monday, July 21, 2008

I'd submit that the fact that you can't figure out how to model them suggests that they may not be simpler to model.
Robert Rossney Send private email
Monday, July 21, 2008

I think we are pretty much there actually. A couple of people have come up with heuristic approaches that work reasonably well. I think an analytic approach that solved the quartic for the intersection of a circle and an ellipse would be more accurate and faster.

It is an interesting problem anyway (IMHO).
Monday, July 21, 2008

As I recall, the xwindows code to draw elipses with fat lines did the same calculation (find the point disatance x perpendicular to the ellipse) and it did solve the quartic.
Of course you still have to do the tangent to the previous guy calculation.
expr
Friday, July 25, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics