The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Point of sale interface

Hi,

We have a point of sale question.

We need to be able to pick up transactions made at the till and update our database so we can then allow access via the web for reporting etc. We have been told that the till creates .CSV records each time a transaction takes place.

Any ideas how we can pick up these records so we can upload them to our DB.

We haven't done anything like this before so any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Rich
Rich S Send private email
Friday, July 18, 2008

I guess the cash register writes a csv file to a directory on the hd?

If so, .Net can watch the directory for changes, read the changed file into your proggy and then do whatever you like.

I think though that the register probably has an interface available so you can link directly to it. Try tracking down the manufacturer for help.
glen harvy Send private email
Friday, July 18, 2008

You need to hire someone who has a programming background to handle this for you. Your question is akin to asking "how do I read a file and put the data in a database". This is a very rudimentary question and without a bunch of details from you we couldn't possibly begin to help you.

Hire someone. You'll be glad you did.
dood mcdoogle
Friday, July 18, 2008

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The problem we have is that we have never had to interface with POS tills before.

We have been told that each till will have an interface which allows for .CSV files to be written. We need to be able to access these files and then update our database which is on another server with this data.

Any ideas on how we can access these files!

Thanks for any help.

Rich
Rich S Send private email
Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Again, this is the most rudimentary of questions. We really can't help you here because you haven't given us any info at all. Ask the POS vendor for info. You will need to understand where the files are on the hard disk, are they accessible while the POS is in use, and the format of the files. Once you know that you can pick literally any programming language you want to pull off this task.

Hire a programmer. These are the first things he/she will ask you. If you are a programmer, then you need help. And not the type of help that we could possibly give you out here.
dood mcdoogle
Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Are you saying that you want to interface with all POS systems?

I'm not sure there is a generic way to do this - though I'm sure many applications do have to work with the data that they produce.

Maybe POS systems do write .csv files but then a batch job takes that data and add's it to a central db?

All the best
Kieran
Tuesday, July 22, 2008

All POS systems are different. Most do not use CSV files at all. And the ones that do will have proprietary formats. The OP's question is akin to asking how to import a file from his accounting system into a database. Which accounting system? What are the file layouts? Is there an API? What programming language? There are way too many unknowns to even begin to answer his question.

In other words, there is absolutely nothing we can do to help him other than to tell him to seek the advice of a professional. And preferably one who has experience with his specific brand of POS system.
dood mcdoogle
Tuesday, July 22, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics