The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Getting Lisp to work on Windows - help a complete newbie please

I downloaded Lisp in a Box and CLISP, as well as SBCL for good measure. I am on Windows.

How to get the Emacs which is part of Lisp in a Box, to interface with either CLISP or SBCL? I would appreciate instructions such as which files to edit. This is the first time I'm touching emacs, so I'm a stranger to the entire philosophy, however, I want to go through the examples in the gigamonkeys book.
you do realize
Saturday, July 12, 2008

Just use Allegro or LispWorks.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

When I did that, I just remember it working as instructed. I don't remember doing anything fancy.

However, I really didn't like the programming environment. I switched to Eclipse with the SchemeWay plugin and found it much nicer. At the time, the CUSP plugin (Common Lisp) was quite immature and failed to run, but it probably works fine now.
Benjamin Manes Send private email
Saturday, July 12, 2008

Go with J instead. Its much more functional and better than lisp.

http://www.jsoftware.com/stable.htm

(ducks).
dd
Sunday, July 13, 2008

Huh? Isn't there a dialect of LISP built onto emacs? It serves as the macro language AND the config file language.
Rowland
Sunday, July 13, 2008

Henry
Monday, July 14, 2008

It might help you to look up the entries for "external lisp" or "inferior lisp" in the emacs info help system.

Type M-x to get the command prompt, then enter "info <enter>".  Then go to the emacs entry, and search for "external lisp" or "inferior lisp".
EMF
Monday, July 14, 2008

I would also recommend emacs+SLIME. I used CLISP and it was pretty easy to set up.
Financial programmer
Tuesday, July 15, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics