The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

DirectShow filters

I'm starting a project where I need to render 32-bit .MOV files (QuickTime with an alpha channel), .FLV (Flash Video), MPEG2/4 and .WMV files. Can anyone recommend any filters they themselves have had experience with? I'm also in need of a CODEC to render to .FLV and MPEG2/4.

The app will playback media content in the various file formats and combine with my own custom content. In some instancts I'll need to render this playback to a movie file such as MPEG2/4 or .FLV.

Any recommendations? I'm not looking to write my own. I'm hoping there's a good commerical offering I can utilize.

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Rendering FLV is difficult. The old FLV's use H.263 and isn't a big deal. The newer FLV's using a codec from On2. As far as I know, there are no legal ways to render this other than the flash player.
alex lerman
Monday, July 07, 2008

ffdshow is a catch-all filter that handles every kind of format.
Its open source, so the authors are not actually liable for the content you decode with it ( I think ).
If you use it, you have to consider the legal ramifications...
V Send private email
Monday, July 07, 2008

Have a look at vlc (http://www.videolan.org/) and libvlc.  It can decode lots of formats and you can write a filter to mix in your own output.  It will also transcode to your chosen output format (MPEG 2/4 ok, FLV is the old poor quality version).  You can then send the result to screen, stream or file.
paulc
Monday, July 07, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics