The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Statistics abbreviation = STAT or STATS ?

As the title says, should I use STAT or STATS as an abbreviation of the word "statistics"?

Thanks my English and American friends,
Petr
Petr Veit
Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Stats
John Topley Send private email
Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Usually "Stats".  If you have a single statistic (which is probably more rare) calling it a "stat" is possible, but you'd more likely call a single statistic a "metric".
AllanL5
Wednesday, July 02, 2008

>> but you'd more likely call a single statistic a "metric".

Do not use "stat" for an abbreviation of "statistic".

Stats => "Statistics"
Stat  => "Immediately" !!

It's fairly common to use "Stats" as a abbreviation for both singluar and plural.

Do _not_ use "metric".

A metric pertains to the measurement unit of a system, not a measurement within the system.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

As an English guy I'd always go for "Stats" too.  You're probably going to have a "Stats" menu but if it only returns one result, it's not a big deal.

I also have two questions for our American friends:

Someone earlier mentioned that "Stat!" means "immediately" and yes I get it because I've seen it on TV (so it must be true), but is it shortened from another word cos I can't think what it might be.

Secondly, I note that Americans say "Math" when talking about Mathematics, yet English people say "Maths".  So I'm a little puzzled by the contradiction in why "Math" (singular) and "Stats" (plural) are treated differently.

OK so I'm being picky, but no offence intended.  Just wondered.
Dale Harrison Send private email
Wednesday, July 02, 2008

+1 "Stats", if you must; I'd prefer to not abbreviate at at all.

> shortened from another word cos I can't think what it might be

Google for "stat" suggests http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_%28S-Z%29#statim which is plausible.
Christopher Wells Send private email
Wednesday, July 02, 2008

I'm the PO. I'm English.

"...So I'm a little puzzled by the contradiction in why "Math" (singular) and "Stats" (plural) are treated differently."

Because I'm English, not American  8)

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

>> "I'm the PO"

I meant "I'm the 'Someone earlier'..."

I need coffee (or should that be coffees? 8) )

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Around my way (southern US) Stat is singular, Stats is plural.  Even to my parents who both work in the medical profession. As far as I know, it is always Math for mathematics.  I believe it is because mathematic is such a rare word to hear, so there is no singular/plural confusion.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Short for Statim, the Latin word for immediately.  20 years ago (holy shit!), a buddy of mine invented an autoclace for medical\dental equipment and called it Statim because it cut the average time by 2/3's
Brad Siemens Send private email
Thursday, July 03, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics