The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Debugging IE

Hi,

I am trying to find out the steps that are taking place when IE is changing a value due to a mouse over event. I am using WinDBG but am unable to figure out how to do this.

I am trying to find out how a variable is being altered. Like for example, I have an xml script that is being loaded into the memory. Using Javascript DOM functions, I am able to manipulate and alter the value of the variable but I was wondering how one would proceed if there was no Javascript access.

Even if its only for that particular instance, I am interested in how one goes about finding the variable... Do you have any suggestions please?
John Heape Send private email
Friday, June 27, 2008

We've found the best way to debug IE is to use Firefox with Firebug. There are some minor differences here and there but 95% of the problems we can quickly find and fix with Firebug
jz Send private email
Saturday, June 28, 2008

> I am trying to find out how a variable is being altered ... if there was no Javascript access.

IE has a COM interface as well, which lets you manipulate it from the outside.

Otherwise, I don't understand your question.
Christopher Wells Send private email
Sunday, June 29, 2008

google for "IE Developer Toolbar" from microsoft, it may help.
n'
Sunday, June 29, 2008

Not sure this even helps you, but if you are in Visual Studio, it comes with a script debugger, so you can go into IE and turn off "disable script debugging" in IE's advanced properties, and every scripting bug will be caught and it will pass issues to the debugger. I think you can also attach the debugger to your test page and trigger the script debugger that way and see whats happening. You can also turn off scripting completely in IE and you need to see how users without scripting see your site. Also, you can trigger many onmouseovers as non-DOM features, like hovers, focus, and active pseudo-class events using style sheets. The newest IE and Firefox I believe allow you to use these pseudo-classes on most html elements in the web page.
Ranger
Monday, June 30, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics