The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

How big is my software?

Once on a daily hectic day, my Boss asked me "How big is your software?, how much a small software you have been created this year?" i am so confused to make a classification on how complicated or how big it is.easily he said "just count on how much form you have been created on that application!"

is that true?
Irman Herdiana Send private email
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

That's a quantification of *FORMS*, not of the size of the software. Give him a byte-count of the compiled executable and include a new MP3 as a resource each day :)
Eddy Vluggen Send private email
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The size of your software can be measured in numerous ways.  All depending upon what you wish to show or demonstrate with the metric. E.g. Lines of source code, number of functions, byte count of executable.  This is kinda like asking "How long is a piece of string?".
DanglingPointer
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

If he wants to count the forms, then he is most likely the normal user type for who the user interface IS the software. Show him a complete UI and he will think that the software is finished, even if there is nothing behind. Show him a form with one single button "Theory of Everything" and he will be impressed by your genius. ;)

Software metrics are an endless topic.
Secure
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sooooo big!
BillAtHRST
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hold your arms out wide and say "this big".

Then go find a new job where the managers are human beings and not retarded monkeys.

If your boss has terrible communication skills and also doesn't even understand what you're doing each day, there's no hope.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

There are many standard measures of software size AND complexity (not the same).

I would suggest to use one of them as this might help you relate to answer to other interesting metrics like productivity (how many program units you do in a period of time), quality of code (how many bugs per size unit), and other.

In any case, executable size is almost meaningless because it depends of a lot of things you don't control (the utilization of dynamic or static libraries, for instance).
Pablo Send private email
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My first post wasn't really helpfull. My apologies.

Some things cannot be measured, others shouldn't be measured. You can ask an artist how many brush-strokes he makes on a single canvas, and you may want to count the number of paintings he or she makes. You can quantify the paint that is used, or you can measure the profit on the paintings.

The trouble of bugcounts is defining the term "bug". Those kind of metrics are downright misleading. Productivity is the one metric that should be avoided at all costs - you cannot quantify productivity using statistics.

Now, your boss probably wants to know how the department is performing compared to other IT-departments. You could use code-reviews to get an indication on code-quality. The degree of success isn't measured in solved bugs, but in satisfied customers.

Ask your chief why he needs to know. Are you missing deadlines? Are you spending weeks on tracking bugs?

Or is it just that he wants to brag about the complexity and the size of the software that your department releases?
Eddy Vluggen Send private email
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Don't forget that REDUCING the total number of lines of code can at times be considered "making progress". At least that's been the case on several poorly architected projects that I've worked on in the past. Refactoring can be just as important as creating new functionality.
dood mcdoogle
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Well finally i replied to him(my boss), "just count it and and examine of its complexities!"
turn out to be none are small, event its obly a sales order tracking sistem with one form UI.

today i won.

thanks
Irman Herdiana Send private email
Thursday, June 19, 2008

There is an entire sub-field of software engineering dedicated to answering that question: software cost estimation.
MoffDub Send private email
Thursday, June 26, 2008

i was once faced with this question as to how big my s/w application was .. i wasn't asked by anyone .. i just wanted to know for myself ..

the most obvious metric was sloc .. i tried this script from
http://www.dwheeler.com/sloccount/ and it worked very well

I know measuring s/w by sloc is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight as said by Bill Gates.  But its good in a way that it gives some idea.

sloccount gives a metric on how many man hours would be required for the s/w. (dont know whats the base here), which really is a good info .  Suppose your competitor has your code and he starts writing from the scratch you can guess how much time will he take.
Shikhar Kumar Send private email
Friday, June 27, 2008

Check this http://www.campwoodsw.com/sourcemonitor.html
It's freeware and it does lots of metrics.
moronica
Tuesday, July 01, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics