The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Icon Idea for "Make Primary"

I have a list of photos and I'd like the user to click on an icon on the upper left corner of each of the non-primary photos to make it the primary one for that folder. 

I'd rather not have to put test in the app that says "Click the xxxx on a picture to make it primary" 

Any ideas on an icon that would intuitively mean to most users "Make the photo primary"

Thanks for any ideas.
TetonSig Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

Google uses the "catch all" star icon. You could try the same.
Gili Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

yeah, star is my default choice. 

I just didn't think it was plainly obvious that a star meant "make primary".   

But being so involved in the building of interfaces (not the design) I've long since stopped trusting my own sense of usability as a guide :)
Friday, June 13, 2008

Maybe something akin to a selection border?  Something like a 4-pixel light blue border.
So tired
Friday, June 13, 2008

If "primary" means "primary for this folder", then maybe a little star superimposed over a little folder?
Kyralessa Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

How about a podium, what people stand on for 1st, 2nd and 3rd medals, with the 1st one highlighted?

The root of "primary" is probably prime which means first.
Odysseus Send private email
Saturday, June 14, 2008

Don't be so literal.
When you say 'Make Primary', you're thinking like a database guy.  A person will think of 'Use this as my title page". 
How about a distinctive look for the title page (like a frame?) and have the icon be a small version of that frame? And definitely don't make the text on hover be "Make this picture primary".  Make it be something in the user's own domain of understanding - like "use picture as album coverpage" or "use as album thumbnail" or something like that.
AndrewMcG Send private email
Saturday, June 14, 2008

In fact, on second thoughts, don't even have an icon on each non-primary picture.  that's a lot of UI widgets for a very rare and relatively unimportant task.

Instead have a link or button saying "Choose album cover" or something.  Or show which picture will be the album cover (defaulting to the first one), and a link saying "Change".
When somebody clicks that, then show all the pics and let them choose one.  Then the affordance to perform the task is clear, and it doesn't need to sprinkle UI for this one operation onto every element of the UI.
AndrewMcG Send private email
Saturday, June 14, 2008

I don’t think you're going to get a self-evident icon for this, certainly not from soliciting opinions rather than extensive user testing. Icons generally make lousy labels for anything other than visual attributes (e.g., right-align) or concrete objects (e.g., a printer). +1 on it also being cluttering. Have you considered using a context (right-click) menu item instead? +1 on using language the user understands.
Michael Zuschlag Send private email
Monday, June 16, 2008

OP here.

Thanks for the replies, guys. 

+1 "you're thinking like a database guy"  :) yep, that's the fear. 

We will be doing extensive user testing a little later, so this isn't a decision we have to live with.  I just wanted to make the best first stab I could.  We'll probably go with some sort of variant of the star for now and hopefully get some good confirmation or feedback from users.

Thanks again.
Monday, June 16, 2008

You might find this useful. Doesn't have anything for primary tho'

http://www.iconfinder.net/
clerkenwell
Monday, June 16, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics