The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Need this simple Rss functionality

I can't find a utility that would do this for me, so I'm thinking of how to do it.

What I need:
  I want to be notified via email when someone at craigslist posts that they're selling a toaster with a mini-TV attached to the side, let's say. (very rare)

You obviously first get the RSS by:
        - searching for it manually on craigslist
        - on the results page (0 results most of the time), copy the rss feed link by right clicking on the
            "RSS"

(And yes, I could then paste this feed address into Google Reader, and then look for this every day (most of the time, this feed will be empty because a toaster/tv is rare).)

However I want to assume that this is basically never going to happen (someone selling this), and not worry about it, but in the miracle it does happen, simply be emailed.

Is there a tool available that would do this?

If not, should I just create a simple console PHP script, using Magpie rss, and then consume the above rss feed? I could, I guess, create a Windows nt AT (equiv to CRON) batch that would automatically call this php script and then in that php script use php's email() command to email me in the event of a result?

If anyone thinks that would be  a waste of time, please let me know
Steve in WA Send private email
Saturday, June 07, 2008

Just use a google alert, searching that site for that string...
Just passing
Saturday, June 07, 2008

The problem with google alerts is that when you search just a single site, you still have to search the entire site, such as: "craigslist.org", instead of just the for sale section.

Plus sometimes a new item on an RSS feed isn't yet spidered by google, so google alert could miss it.
sb Send private email
Saturday, June 07, 2008

Awasu is a pretty customisable reader that should be able to do what you want. It already has a plugin that can send emails when new items arrive.
RSS Addict
Sunday, June 08, 2008

You could use http://www.watchthatpage.com/ on the search results page.
dev1
Sunday, June 08, 2008

One of the flaws in RSS is its a channelled "pull" type service, and heavily dependent on PC software.

Why couldt you create a small thread or service on a web site that loads rss like this, and calls their server, parses the XML and then sends out a simple email? I would think that wouldnt be too hard. You could build a Windows Service too, but again, too many software dependencies.
JoJo
Sunday, June 08, 2008

All good replies.

Jojo, thanks, I'm in the middle of writing a simple script that enables to me add a new feed (to database), and then I will upload it to my shared space on hostgator, where it will run automatically.
 I'll see if there's a way for to automate it. Maybe their cpanel will have a cron-like tool.
sb Send private email
Sunday, June 08, 2008

Have you tried Yahoo pipes?
D. Lambert Send private email
Monday, June 09, 2008

Step 1. Create a RSS feed for a Craigslist search query using Feedity ( http://feedity.com )

Step 2. Use RSSFwd ( http://www.rssfwd.com/ ) to get notified of the Feedity RSS feed updates

Simple!
Wallz95050
Monday, June 16, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics