The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Mini .NET CLR?

I've searched all over and I can't find it.  I'm positive I read, either in one of Joel's articles or in a discussion here, about a tool you can use to compile a .NET app into a true standalone app.  It builds in only the pieces of the .NET CLR that you need and includes it all in one exe, removing the requirement that the client machine has the entire CLR.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?  The googles are letting me down.
David Irwin Send private email
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

I totally remember that also... try looking for ".NET linker" (too lazy to do it myself).
Greg Send private email
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

OK, so I'm not crazy.

I tried all of the obvious searches I could think of, but it looks like I missed ".NET linker".  That brought up some promising links.  Thanks!
David Irwin Send private email
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

I remember seeing one a while back- called something like 'Salamadar', but I could be way off on the name.  Anyway, I also remember that it wasn't very good, but that was a long time ago and it might be much better now.

If you want to do .Net-like RAD and be able to build native applications, then Delphi or C++ Builder are pretty good.
Joel Coehoorn Send private email
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

We have successfully used the following

- Xenocode.com's a product called Postbuild and Appliance Studio.
- Also, thinstall.com

These work great. Remember your app will be around 40Mb+ for a single exe
Ajay Soni Send private email
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Try Xenocode

http://xenocode.com/
Developer #13
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

It sounds very impressive but the pricing ($40/user not including annual maintenance contract) really only makes sense for corporate IT departments that are trying to repackage existing installers. 

If I'm trying to sell software that is expensive enough for me to absorb a $40+/user component license then my customers are not only willing to install it they will expect to see something installed on their machine.  When targeting end users I can really only see xenocode making sense for apps targeting students and other mobile users who dont have their own laptops (and hence probably dont have much disposable income) or people trying to run things they shouldnt on their corporate desktops (again not usually big ticket packages).
system of a Don Send private email
Wednesday, June 04, 2008

>I remember seeing one a while back- called something like
> 'Salamadar', but I could be way off on the name

This is "Salamander" by Remotesoft (http://www.remotesoft.com/). Haven't tried it...any views?
Cyclops Send private email
Thursday, June 05, 2008

"It sounds very impressive but the pricing ($40/user)"

But the user is YOU, the one who compiles, right? Not all the students who use your already compiled product.
Daniel_DL Send private email
Monday, June 09, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics