The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Web page (form) or Word form for routine small scale surveys

Small scale being about 20 respondents.

Hello there,

Am wondering if you could shed any light on this issue I have.

In an application there are 2 ways of gathering feedback - emailed surveys or web-based surveys.

For the emailed survey the questionnaire is a MS Word form which is emailed to the recipient who fills it in and then emails it back where it is processed through MS Outlook.

For the web based approach the user is sent a url to a web page where they complete the survey. Once they click submit on completion, an email with their responses is sent back to the sender and the results are then processed in much the same way as for the MS Word form.

What I am wondering about is should both these 2 options acutally exist are they not pretty much the same - need the internet to work. Is one prefereable to the other I wonder? Which one would it be?

What would be the benefits of the emailed approach over the web-based approach and vice versa.

Would appreciate any insight.
Clerkenwell
Monday, June 02, 2008

Why don't you ask the stakeholders? I don't see how developers could really answer such a business decision.
uggh
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The Web option is slightly better because there are a few lunatics (or maybe geniuses, depending on your point of view) who actually don't have Office installed.
Greg Send private email
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The web option is _vastly_ better, because if necessary you can easily ditch Outlook and replace it with a proper web-app solution without the users noticing any difference at all.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics