The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Designing a Microsoft Access without MS Access

Is there a program or something where a person can design a MS Access database without having Access? I know in VB6 there was a MSDN program that you could use that was packaged with VB6 but I am needing something for VS 2005.

Thanks in advance,
Noble
Noble D. Bell Send private email
Monday, June 02, 2008

Hi Noble,

You can design a database with pencil and paper, but I suspect you're actually asking if it is possible to create an Access database without Access being installed on the computer?

Regard -
Marcus from London
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

You need an intial access database, but once you have that I believe you can connect to it and manipulate it from the server explorer in Visual Studio 2005.

That said, Access databases are an extremely poor choice for anything but use in Access.  If you're building another program and just want an SQL data store you're better off using SQL Server Compact Edition for single or small work-group situations, SQL Server Express for small to medium workgroups or small web sites.
Joel Coehoorn Send private email
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The Jet engine, which is part of pretty much every Windows. You can look up the com interface on MSDN.
PeterR
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

==> You need an intial access database

No.
You don't.

Here's a 3-liner VBScript that'll do it.
Translate to the language of your choice:

Dim oDatabase
Set oDatabase= CreateObject("ADOX.Catalog")

oDatabase.Create "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
                      "Data Source=c:\test.mdb"
Sgt.Sausage
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

That still took some extra work.  There's nothing in the server explorer to create that for you.
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Never, never mention Microsoft Access anymore (it is deprecated)-unless you're using VB6. The "standard" database for VS.NET now is MS SQL Server Express or the commercial versions. The Express version evolved from the MSDE Engine (based on SQL Server).
Ezani
Thursday, June 05, 2008

Access is obsolete for this kind of task, but SQL Server Compact Edition is a more direct replacement.  Express Edition is the replacement for if you were using access for something access should never do (serve as a workgroup database).
Thursday, June 05, 2008

I'm all in favour of using the right tools for the job etc., but some reasons the SQL Server compact/express products are NOT a replacement for Access are:

- Requires .net framework 2.0
- No Win 2000
- No XP SP1
- Large file sizes (installer & installed)

Whether any of these should matter to you, depends on your end user.
Gerry Smith Send private email
Friday, June 06, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics