The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

AVG virus warning

I have a peculiar problem.
My site, http://www.widgetplus.com, triggers a warning from AVG, and I can't for the life of me figure out what the heck is going on?
I wrote all of the javascripts on the site, and I know for a fact that I didn't do anything funny.
The javascript file is unobscured and wide open to read, so I'm not sure that I'm supposed to do?

Does anyone know where one can find more information on what to look for, so that I can figure out what triggers the warning and remove it?
The site is just plain Ajax, so surely, that can't be it.
If so, every Ajax site on the planet would fall apart.
Mikael Bergkvist Send private email
Thursday, May 29, 2008

Have you contacted AVG to ask them what might be causing the alert?
Jeff Hawkins
Thursday, May 29, 2008

I had a problem with the AVG AV program.  It flagged the WordStar 2000 executable as a virus and would not let me override this.  As this is my programming editor, I was not pleased.  I reported the bug.  They corrected this, then not too long after, uncorrected it.  Removing AVG was my solution.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Thursday, May 29, 2008

Perhaps this warning is not related to you web page code, it could be related to your host IP address.
hectorsq Send private email
Thursday, May 29, 2008

I used to swear by AVG, but over the last couple months, their heuristic algorithms have become overly ambitious in deciding what is malicious.

I suspect that the malware authors are far outstripping the virus scanner companies' to keep up.  Certainly, I've seen malware infestations that managed to outwit three different, fully-updated virus scanners.
Dan Fleet Send private email
Monday, June 02, 2008

AVG briefly flagged any exe compiled with VFP6 as a virus a while back - caused a bit of mayhem at quite a few of our sites.  They sorted it out pretty quick - maybe try finding a contact and ask them - but good luck with that!
Brett
Tuesday, June 03, 2008

I've had nothing but trouble with AVG false alarms reported for my software. They fix the false positives a few days after you report them but then unfix them a few days or weeks later. Users then start posting -ve reviews of the software because they think it's a real virus and sales take a knock. Never a dull moment.

I recommend all of our clients to uninstall AVG and install an alternative, like avast instead.
Dominic Send private email
Friday, June 06, 2008

I have read many problems with AVG. It seems like they are struggling now.
Joe Knapp Send private email
Monday, June 09, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics