The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Windows Forms Testing

I'm looking for a free Windows Forms testing tool. I want to be able to script stuff but it doesn't need to be too fancy.

So far NUnitForms looks like the best bet. It looks like there are lots of other .NET tools that don't do Windows Forms specifically.

WinRunner and TestComplete both look great, but both cost fairly big $$ and in the case of WR I can't find a trial version or even definitive price anywhere.

Any comments or advice?
Greg Send private email
Tuesday, May 27, 2008

There's "White", a framework similar to NUnitForms written by ThoughtWorks that supports Win32, WinForm, WPF and SWT. It's .Net based.
Bruce
Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I have not used "White" for a long time so won't comment on that... if you do use NUnit forms have a look at: http://www.pksoftware.net/devblog/post/2008/03/An-NUnitForms-testing-strategy.aspx 

I have used it for a couple of years now with the biggest advantage being "full control" of what you are doing (compared to a commercial app).

WinRunner etc are "great" for what they do but not that well suited to the simple scripts you are after. The advantage of a library like NUnitForms is that you "test scripts" compile and you can step in with the debugger :-)
Paul Kohler Send private email
Tuesday, May 27, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics