The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Looking for guidance on user interface design

Hi,
I am looking for online articles/books,which talk about designing UI of a desktop application.One question which is on my mind is,when you are developing UI,should you think of a non-technical user as well as non-technical user.?
shakal
Sunday, May 18, 2008

Read this book first:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/printerFriendly/uibook/fog0000000249.html

Afterwards, if you have any more questions, feel free to return and ask.
Scott
Sunday, May 18, 2008

You must read About Face, by Alan Cooper. Just read it.
But read first Joel's book, its a much easier read.
not a guru Send private email
Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Make it plain, intuitive and discoverable. I.e. I should see what can be done at any step in plain view; the function of everything should be evident from the first sight even if I see your interface for the first time; and barring that, make figuring that out as painless as you can.

All the rest is fluff and pretty bits.
ping?
Thursday, May 22, 2008

I would first consider just trying to follow the standards set by the platform one is implementig the UI on.

THere isnt such a thing as a 'technical user'.  People know how to do there jobs.  However, there are plenty of programmers who dont know how to make life easy for people so that they can do their jobs.

I suspect one meant does one design for computer literate or computer illiterate users.  The answer depends on the result of the user analysis.
AndyW Send private email
Friday, May 30, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics