The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Third party proof-read service

Hi,

Although I'm a German developer, my product's language will be English because I can reach a bigger audience that way.

I think that I'm able to do most of the 'translation' myself and so my only need is a company who proofreads my work, corrects mistakes and polishes it all up a bit (which should be cheaper than actualy translating something imho).

Do you know a reasonably priced service (I'm a student) along those lines?

Thanks!

Richard W.
Richard W.
Saturday, May 17, 2008

Proof-reading is quite different from correcting and polishing up, and I've never heard of such a service.

It's difficult to see how someone could reasonably quote for such a service, except on a case-by-case basis, as the work involved will depend a lot on the quality of the initial translation.  And if the end customer isn't satisfied with the result, how do you apportion blame?  Certainly I wouldn't want to quote to correct some of the translations I've seen.

Viel Glueck anyway.
Joe
Saturday, May 17, 2008

Richard,

My cousin is a great writer and has done this kind of thing.  Write me private and I'll put the two of you together.
Karl Perry Send private email
Saturday, May 17, 2008

Thanks for your comment Joe.

@ Karl:

Thanks for your offer. I may get back to you in the future, as the documentation is far from beeing finished yet. I think that the product will be on market soonest next year.

Meanwhile I did a little search and came up with:

http://www.editmyenglish.com/

http://www.englishtextdoctor.com/

They are both reasonably priced and also do some polishing.

Is there anybody of you, who has experience with one of these services?

Regards,

Richard W.
Richard W.
Saturday, May 17, 2008

You're looking for a "freelance editor." I've seen a lot of ads for those in my city anyway, so try googling on that.
Bob
Sunday, May 18, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics